Reports To: Manager of Education
The Education Specialist is responsible for ensuring a quality visitor experience in the museum program and exhibit areas; teaches museum workshops to school groups and childcare groups; and develops and trains staff on age appropriate program activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include:
• Assists with the development and documentation of early childhood educational programming, following established lesson plan templates, Illinois Early Learning and Development Standards and Common Core Standards.
• Assists with development of written materials such as museum educational handouts, activity descriptions, pre and post visit materials for workshops and training manuals.
• Coordinates group visit activities, focused field trips and other programs to ensure the correct set up, material preparation, delivery of material and breakdown.
• Assists with and conducts professional development workshops for early childhood educators.
• Develops evaluation tools for programs to assess effectiveness.
• Engages early childhood visitors through developmentally appropriate practices to enhance exhibit experiences.
• Maintains storage and prep areas.
• Oversees volunteer support staff, as needed.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education or related field of study.
• Type 04 Certification, a plus.
• Two or more years demonstrated experience in an early education setting.
• Experience working with and/or developing STEAM programs, a plus.
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Power Point, Excel).
• Strong oral, written and presentation skills.
• Valid Driver’s License, own vehicle and good driving record.
• Flexibility with work schedule to support evening and weekend activities.
• Bilingual in Spanish, a plus.
Physical Activities include:
• Sitting, walking, standing, bending, kneeling and squatting, moderate lifting (must be able to lift at least 20 lbs).
• Up to four hours of standing and walking may be required while conducting special events and/or group activities.
Hours: Full-time, occasional weeknight and weekend hours
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter along with salary requirements to Angel Weiss, Human Resources at email@example.com.