Careers at KCM
Thank you for your interest in working at the Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago! You are welcome to submit your application for employment for any available opportunities listed on our website or by completing a general application. While we may have limited or no employment opportunities available, the Museum employs part-time positions in our Operations and Visitor Experience departments on an ongoing basis. You may complete a general application by clicking on the “Apply Online” link.
Another wonderful way to get involved at the Kohl Children’s Museum is through volunteering! Our volunteers are an integral part of the Museum and our program offers opportunities supporting our staff in administrative duties, weekend birthday parties, and special events. Should you wish to learn more about volunteering at the Kohl Children’s Museum, please visit the “Volunteer” page of our website found under the “Support” tab.
Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
- Lead Custodian
Reports To: VP of Operations
The Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago provides engaging informal learning environments featuring interactive exhibits and programs that encourage young children to become effective learners through self-directed complex play.
We are looking to hire a Lead Custodian to join our Operations team and support all aspects of operations and maintenance of the Museum. As such, this position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule, including early morning and evening shifts and weekends.
The Lead Custodian contributes to the success of the Museum by supporting the VP of Operations in assuring that the Museum facility and grounds are maintained daily and provide a safe environment for our patrons. The ideal candidate must be capable of using good safety awareness, use sound judgment in decision-making situations, and be able to communicate effectively. Additional qualities include a service-oriented personality, reliable and have dependable transportation.
Hours: Full time, rotating shifts including early morning, evening and weekends
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the daily cleaning of the Museum and building grounds, with a focus on appearance and safety.
- Responsible for assigned Operations duties, including any special or seasonal projects, including but not limited to: wall washing, window washing, carpet cleaning, painting and snow removal.
- Oversee the duties of the part-time custodial staff and ensure that tasks are completed.
- Communicate with custodial staff on daily tasks and schedule.
- Support training on the proper instruction and use of equipment and materials.
- Assist with Museum services requests, including but not limited to: room set-up, deliveries, emergency clean-up and other Museum requests.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of 2 years of direct work experience in a custodial or maintenance role.
- Experience in general handiwork, such as electrical, painting, plumbing, and carpentry, a plus.
- Experience with heavy janitorial cleaning equipment, a plus.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Must have flexibility with work schedule to accommodate rotating shifts.
- Heavy lifting up to 50lbs.
- Standing and walking for extended periods.
- Bending, pushing and pulling equipment and/or supplies.
- Lifting and moving furniture and object, climbing ladders and reaching overhead.
A comprehensive benefits plan that includes medical, dental, vision and retirement savings plan is offered with this full-time position.
To apply, submit your resume to Curt Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (847) 832-6884, and leave your name and call back number. You can also apply on the Kohl Children’s Museum website at www.kcmgc.org.
Apply Online for one of the positions listed. Or send your resume to:
Kohl Children’s Museum
Attn: Human Resources
2100 Patriot Boulevard
Glenview, IL 60026-8018
Kohl Children’s Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.