Art Studio Assistant
Reports To: Manager of Education and Art Studio Education Specialist
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Part Time (Typically 9:30-4:30)
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Responsible for optimizing the visitor experience in the art studio and exhibit areas by providing expertise in early childhood education in the arts.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Engages early childhood visitors through developmentally appropriate practices to enhance exhibit experiences.
• Supports and collaborates with Education staff and other departments to support the museum mission.
• Set and reset the art studio throughout the day.
• Develops and implements processes to ensure visitor access to studio and exhibit art “stations”.
• Assists and provides direction to visitors in the use of studio environment.
• Educates visitor experience staff in art studio processes as needed.
• Conducts sanitization tasks to ensure the cleanliness of the art studio and museum.
• Implements museum programming for all visitors.
• Attends mandatory bi-monthly training, safety training and other department/museum meetings as requested.
• Other duties as assigned by the Manager of Education and/or Art Studio Education Specialist.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• 1-2 years’ experience working with/teaching young children in fine arts
• Knowledge of art theory and its application
• Proficiency in Outlook, Microsoft suite, utilization of the internet
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to take initiative and provide excellent customer service
• Must be available to work both weekday and weekend hours and provide back up as needed
• Fluency in Spanish preferred
PHYSICAL AND VISUAL ACTIVITIES
Sitting, walking, standing, bending, reaching. Up to four hours of standing and/or walking may be required while servicing special events and/or group activities. Squatting and/or kneeling required. Moderate lifting, ability to move large cart to and from exhibit areas.
Usual office environmental conditions. Occasional exposure to weather elements when servicing special events.
Moderate lifting (able to lift 20 lbs.)
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates can submit a resume and cover letter or apply at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the position or the Museum, please visit www.kohlchildrensmuseum.org.
Kohl Children’s Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.