Community Engagement Coordinator Education Specialist (Lake County)
Reports To: Director of Education
Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide experiences and memories to build a foundation for a lifetime of learning. Through our museum space in Glenview, IL, we offer engaging learning environments featuring interactive exhibits and programs that encourage young children to become effective learners through play. As part of our commitment to ensuring that every child has access to the best learning experiences possible, we extend our footprint throughout the Chicagoland area through outreach programs, traveling exhibits, and partnering with educators to inspire meaningful change in the education of young children.
The Community Engagement Coordinator Education Specialist is primarily responsible for the successful implementation of the Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum. This position directly supports the planning, coordination and execution of Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum logistics. Assists Director of Education, VP of Programs and other team members in creating educational content; oversees the daily operation of the Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum; participates in program evaluation; and effectively communicates with internal and external stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate completion of duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support logistics for Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum events and activities, including but not limited to maintaining the Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum calendar, coordinating staffing schedule, assisting with staff training, communicating with Sales and Education to ensure successful field trips, and work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator to schedule and orient volunteers
- Support Museum departments and positions including but not limited to, assisting with set-up and take down of exhibits, troubleshooting exhibit issues, maintaining Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum inventory
- Interact and engage with Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum patrons, including teachers, families and children, to enhance their educational experience
- Communicate with community leaders and constituents to promote community engagement at the Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum location
- Maintain Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum visitor data collection, including attendance, field trip evaluations and family event evaluations. Analyze data and develop reports to be used for future Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum and the KCM annual report
- Support the creation and coordinate the production of materials and collateral as it relates to the Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum, including but not limited to, marketing handouts, exhibit signage and components, reservations forms, and education materials
- Participate in any pre-planning activities and meetings and assist with implementation timeline to ensure successful setup of the Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum
- Oversee the Mobile Learning Lab and Pop-Up Museum during open hours, including but not limited to, opening and closing duties, facilitating field trips and family events, ensuring the safety of the patrons, and acting as a “go-to” for Mobile/Pop-Up Facilitators
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Child and Family Studies or related field, or equivalent work experience in an education, nonprofit or museum setting or related field
- A minimum of 1 year of direct work experience in an educational setting, overseeing the educational experience of young children
- Leadership experience
- Type 04 Certification a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
- Must be at least age 25 with a valid driver’s license, good driving record and willing to drive the museum van for the Mobile Learning Lab Program
- Must have flexibility with work schedule, as necessary, to support weekend scheduling and/or evening activities
Customary office-related activities: standing, walking, sitting, bending
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply on our website at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the position or the Museum, please visit www.kohlchildrensmuseum.org.