The Science of Art
Explore this new Field Trips To Go topic for the 2021-2022 school year!
3 options available, appropriate for Pre-K – 1.
VIRTUAL FIELD TRIP VIDEO RENTAL ($100): You will have 2-week access to a playlist of videos, and you can break up our instructional and educational videos however you please. Videos may be shown or streamed only to classrooms at one school or site only.
Video package includes:
- Three recorded activities
- Follow recipes to create alternatives to regular paint. Engage your various senses while testing out your results.
- Build new painting tools and make predictions about the patterns each of them will leave.
- Explore your surroundings to find art all around you. We’ll discover many of the everyday structures and sights that engage art.
- Three recorded informational videos
- Investigate insects native to Illinois and study the art we can find in their patterning.
- Combine art and science when we learn how to create observational drawings.
- Let’s look at color combinations as we explore shape and negative space.
- Two recorded story times
- Activity instructions provided in English and Spanish to support learning at school and at home
ADD-ON SUPPLY KITS ($50): Why waste time and money collecting supplies? We’ll ship 30 individual kits of supplies to one location with materials needed for each of the recorded activities. (Kits sold in sets of 30 only.)
ADD-ON LIVE SESSION ($50): Includes a 20-minute live presentation for one classroom from a Museum educator making a musical instrument that make two different types of sounds. Please note, live presentation requires supply kits.
Illinois Early Learning and Development Standards
Goal 1: Demonstrate increasing competence in oral communication (listening and speaking). 1.E.ECc With teacher assistance, use new words acquired through conversations and book-sharing experiences.
Goal 8: Identify and describe common attributes, patterns, and relationships in objects. 8.B.ECa With adult assistance, represent a simple repeating pattern by verbally describing it or by modeling it with objects or actions.
Goal 11: Demonstrate curiosity about the world and begin to use the practices of science and engineering to answer questions and solve problems. 11.A.ECa Express wonder and curiosity about their world by asking questions, solving problems, and designing things.
Goal 25: Gain exposure to and explore the arts. 25.A.ECd Investigate and participate in activities using visual arts materials.
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.2 Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases by context clues, analyzing meaningful word parts, and consulting general and specialized reference materials, as appropriate.