Looking for a safe, outdoor experience with your family this summer? SummerBurst: An EXPLORsion of Outdoor Fun provides interactive, STEAM-focused, open-air activities from 9 AM to 1 PM every Tuesday through Sunday through August 29 (except July 4. Extended hours until 4 PM June 11 -13.).
Walk through a screened-in open-air live native butterfly habitat.
Discover four super-sized animatronic bug sculptures and go on scavenger hunt for native prairie insects.
Solve math problems using a phone app with augmented reality creatures from teddy bears to a giant T-Rex.
Created in coordination with MathTalk.
Tiny Town Trike Track
Pedal through a miniature village, delivering packages to various storefronts and learning sign safety.
Helmets required; Bring your own or use limited Museum supply.
Be creative with individual and large-scale collaborative art activities that will change throughout the summer including magnet, sand, and chalk art, with paint-a-car later this summer!
Prices below are for the SummerBurst special event only and do not include admission to the indoor Museum exhibits. Member discounts do not apply to corporate or reciprocal museum memberships.
Children (ages 1 – 16)
Adults (ages 17+)
Infants (under 12 months)
No ticket required
Please note: All tickets are non-refundable after purchase, but may be transferred or rescheduled. Event will occur rain or shine.
Reserve Your Tickets
- This calendar secures admission for our SummerBurst outdoor event only. Separate tickets must be purchased for indoor exhibit admission.
- To guarantee admission, tickets must be pre-purchased using the reservation calendar below. Until June 20, please select an approximate 15-minute window to arrive. Beginning June 22, tickets are valid anytime during the program, which opens at 9 AM and closes at 1 PM. We are currently accepting reservations through July 3.
- Gift cards must be redeemed by phone at (847) 832-6900.
Kohl Children’s Museum members: After selecting your time window, you must Sign In in the upper right corner of your sales screen to receive your discount. Discounts are applied AFTER tickets are added to your cart but BEFORE you enter payment info. If you have not yet created your account, please register here. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before You Visit
- Please bring your own face coverings. In keeping with CDC guidelines, non-mesh masks that cover the nose and mouth are recommended for all guests age 2 or older during this programming.
Health Check: The health and safety of our visitors, staff, and volunteers is our #1 priority. If any of the following are true of your party the morning of your scheduled visit, please do not come to the Museum:
- Fever of more than 100.4 F
- Coughing, sneezing, chills, runny nose, or difficulty breathing
- Exposure to a COVID-19-infected individual within the previous 14 days
If any of these are true, please e-mail us at email@example.com prior to your session start time to reschedule your visit (subject to availability; rescheduling fees may apply). Staff and volunteers are required to complete the same health check.
During Your Visit
- Food is not allowed in the Habitat Park exhibit or activity areas. We suggest eating prior to or after your visit, or in your private vehicles prior to participating. Beverages will be allowed. Thermos jugs of water with paper cups will also be available.
- Guests will have indoor restroom access immediately inside the Museum entrance only.