Exercise and use creativity to move like words/pictures.
Big Idea: Moving your body and exercising is an important part of staying healthy.
For more Home Zone activities, click here
- Large craft sticks
- Word/picture cards
- Glue or tape
- CD (optional)
- Cup/ Container for sticks
A clear and open space in which children can move freely about without tripping or falling.
- Have word/picture cards adhered to craft sticks and placed in a container.
- Explain to children that they will each choose a stick. The words/pictures on the stick will tell them how they are supposed to move. Tell them not to show their card to anyone or tell anyone what the card says.
- If you are playing a CD, have the children who have movement sticks start to move to the music. If you are not using a CD, beat out a rhythm on a table or desk.
- After the children have moved for a minute or two, have the remaining children guess what movements were made. Have children switch being the “movers” and the “guessers”.
- Discuss why exercise is important.
- Give children copies of the word/picture cards to bring home and play the game with their family members.
Q. What was your favorite movement?
Q. Can you think of any other movements?
Q. Do you know any other animals that move in different ways? Can you show me their movement?
Q. How can you move slower? How can you move faster?
Q. Why is it important to move or bodies or exercise every day?
A. Moving our bodies and exercising helps keep us physically fit and live a healthy lifestyle.
1.A.ECa Follow simple one-, two- and three-step directions.
Students will begin to follow the teacher’s short instructions.
1.B.ECd Engage in agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., listening, making eye contact, taking turns speaking).
Students will make eye contact and listen to each movement that is drawn and then follow the movement rules on the stick.
19.A.ECa Engage in active play using gross- and fine-motor skills.
Students will use gross motor skills while playing movement game.
Exercise: bodily activity for the sake of physical fitness