Become a part of one of the nation’s best children’s museums by assisting us with your volunteer time and service. Since 1985, Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago, a not-for-profit, educational facility, has been dedicated to “hands-on” learning and fostering innovative ways to nurture a love of learning in young children through play, exploration, and discovery. Kohl is one of the few museums in the country that has always focused on early childhood education – the fundamental, critically important learning that occurs from birth to age eight.
Ways to Volunteer:
- SummerBurst Event Volunteer: Be one of the friendly faces that help enhance guest’s experiences, and learning through playful interactions in our outdoor special event. Assist the Museum staff by ensuring a safe and clean environment. Answer questions, provide directions, keep activities organized so that all patrons can enjoy their day. Assist with set-up, tear-down and general support of the outside space.
Weekday Shifts: 9:30 AM – 12 noon or 12 noon – 3 PM (no Mondays)
Saturday Shifts: 9 AM – 12 noon, 11 AM – 2 PM, 12 noon – 3 PM, and 2 – 5 PM
Sunday Shifts: 12 noon – 3 PM, 12 noon – 5 PM, or 2 – 5 PM
- Butterfly Tent Volunteers: We have three various outside roles as follows:
- Greeter – you will stand outside the tent to give directions and greet people.
- Facilitator – you will stand inside the tent, talk to patrons, give brief information on the butterfly life cycle, and kinds of native butterflies.
- Care Volunteer – you will attend to the needs of the butterflies by providing water, food, temperature checks, pupa checks, and all behind the scenes. Must have lots of interest or experience in butterflies (this is a morning role only – variable times)
Tuesday through Sunday Shifts: 9 – 11 AM, 11 AM – 1 PM, 1 – 3 PM, 3 – 5 PM
- Art Studio Volunteer and Insect Science Volunteer – (outside role): Kids will visit various art/science stations which will need to be monitored, restocked with art materials and sanitizing supplies as well as other non-consumables. You will support our staff by engaging children and families during open-ended art and science exploration questions.
Tuesday through Sunday Shifts: 9 – 11 AM, 11 AM – 2 PM, 1 – 3 PM, 3- 5 PM
- Special Events Volunteer: Be a part of a special event helping us with the different fundraising events during the year. Please see below for our latest opportunity and check back for more events as they are updated.
Thank you for choosing Kohl Children’s Museum as a place to volunteer. Please click “Apply Now,” below, to complete the application. After completing the application, our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you.
- All applicants are required to attend an interview and training orientation as part of the application process.
- The minimum age to volunteer is 14 years old.
- A background check is required as part of the application process for all adult volunteers (18 years of age).
- Parent or Guardian consent is required for all youth volunteers (14-17 years old).
- A commitment of 5 – 10 hours per month
- Learn and develop new skills
- Meet and build a community of friends who share the love of learning
- Gain experience working with children at special events, or work “behind the scenes”
- Gain personal satisfaction giving back to the community
- Develop or enhance professional skills for the future
- Receive invitations to staff celebrations and other special events
- Discounts at the Museum restaurant.
Bring your Company Employees or Group for a Volunteer Service Day at Kohl Children’s Museum!
Your volunteer day will include:
- Volunteer schedule
- Welcome presentation, with orientation/training on your roles
- Volunteer package
- Tour of the Museum
- Group photo of your service day
- Lots of fun
- Maximum of 15-20 people per group / day
- Names of each volunteer one week in advance
- Monday through Thursday between 9:30 AM – 1 PM
- Age 14 or older
Email Patty Timothy at email@example.com for more information or call (847) 832-6892.