Become a part of one of the nation’s best children’s museums by assisting us with your volunteer time and service. Since 1985, Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago, a not-for-profit, educational facility, has been dedicated to “hands-on” learning and fostering innovative ways to nurture a love of learning in young children through play, exploration, and discovery. Kohl is one of the few museums in the country that has always focused on early childhood education – the fundamental, critically important learning that occurs from birth to age eight.
Ways to Volunteer:
- Floor Guide Volunteer: Be one of the friendly faces that help enhance guest’s experiences, and learning through playful interactions in our Museum exhibits. Assist the Museum staff by ensuring a safe and clean environment on the Museum floor. Keep an eye out for lost children and keep exhibits organized so that all patrons can enjoy the interactive exhibits! Assist with set-up, tear-down and general support of birthday parties when necessary.
Weekday Shifts: 9:30 AM – 12 noon or 12 noon – 3 PM
Saturday Shifts: 9 AM – 12 noon, 11 AM – 2 PM, 12 noon – 3 PM, and 2 – 5 PM
Sunday Shifts: 12 noon – 3 PM, 12 noon – 5 PM, or 2 – 5 PM
- Art Adventures Volunteer: Mentor “future” artists in our Art Studio by helping children with their engaging projects, setting up new activities, and prepping materials for their projects. Seeking individuals with past experience working with young children in the arts.
Weekday Shifts: 10 AM – 12 noon or 1 – 4 PM
Saturday Shifts: 10 AM – 12 noon or 1 – 4 PM
Sunday Shift: 1 – 4 PM
- Master Gardener Volunteer: Master Gardeners apply! Come spend some time outside in our beautiful 2-acre nature park!
Weekday & Saturday Shifts: Between 10 AM to 5 PM
Sunday Shifts: Between Noon to 5 PM
- Spanish Translator Volunteer: Are you able to translate in Spanish? We are looking for a volunteer to help us with translation at our various Focused Field Trips (FFT) and at our Early Childhood Connections events. You would work alongside our Educators during these school trips to help translate for those that are Spanish speaking. Skills needed would be to translate English to Spanish and or Spanish to English; both written and verbal.
Weekday Shifts Only: Between 9 AM to 5 PM
- Special Events Volunteer: Be a part of a special event helping us with the different fundraising events during the year. Please see below for our latest opportunity and check back for more events as they are updated:
Thank you for choosing Kohl Children’s Museum as a place to volunteer. Please click “Apply Now,” below, to complete the application. After completing the application, our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you.
- All applicants are required to attend an interview and training orientation as part of the application process.
- The minimum age to volunteer is 14 years old.
- A background check is required as part of the application process for all adult volunteers (18 years of age).
- Parent or Guardian consent is required for all youth volunteers (14-17 years old).
- A commitment of 5 – 10 hours per month
- Learn and develop new skills
- Meet and build a community of friends who share the love of learning
- Gain experience working with children at special events, or work “behind the scenes”
- Gain personal satisfaction giving back to the community
- Develop or enhance professional skills for the future
- Receive invitations to staff celebrations and other special events
- Discounts at the Museum restaurant.
Bring your Company Employees or Group for a Volunteer Service Day at Kohl Children’s Museum!
Your volunteer day will include:
- Volunteer schedule
- Welcome presentation, with orientation/training on your roles
- Volunteer package
- Tour of the Museum
- Group photo of your service day
- Lots of fun
- Maximum of 15-20 people per group / day
- Names of each volunteer one week in advance
- Monday through Thursday between 9:30 AM – 1 PM
- Age 14 or older
Email Patty Timothy at email@example.com for more information or call (847) 832-6892.