Become a part of one of the nation’s best children’s museums by assisting us with your volunteer time and service. Since 1985, Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago, a not-for-profit, educational facility, has been dedicated to “hands-on” learning and fostering innovative ways to nurture a love of learning in young children through play, exploration, and discovery. Kohl is one of the few museums in the country that has always focused on early childhood education – the fundamental, critically important learning that occurs from birth to age eight.
Ways to Volunteer:
Floor Guide: Be one of the friendly faces that help enhance guest’s experiences, and learning through interaction in our Museum exhibits. Assist the Museum staff by ensuring a safe and clean environment on the Museum floor. Keep an eye out for lost children and keep exhibits organized so that all patrons can enjoy the interactive exhibits!
Week day Shifts: 9:30 AM - 12 noon or 12 noon – 3 PM
Saturday Shifts: 9 AM - 12 noon , 11 AM – 2 PM, 12 noon – 3 PM, and 2 PM – 5 PM
Sunday Shifts : 12 noon – 3 PM, 12 noon – 5 PM, or 2 PM – 5 PM
• Master Gardener
• Traveling Exhibits Assistants
• Data Management Specialist
• Facilities and Operations Assistants
- Minimum age: 16 or older (all Juniors/Seniors in High School fulfilling academic-related service hours are welcome to apply)
- Reliability, flexibility, and great people skills
- Experience interacting with younger children helpful
- The ability to stand or sit for long periods of time (for certain volunteer positions)
- Prior volunteer/work experience helpful
- Enthusiasm about volunteering and supporting the community
- Learn and develop new skills
- Meet and build a community of friends who share the love of learning
- Gain experience working with children at special events, or work “behind the scenes”
- Gain personal satisfaction giving back to the community
- Develop or enhance professional skills for the future
- Receive invitations to staff celebrations and other special events
- Discounts at the Museum restaurant.
Thank you for choosing Kohl Children's Museum as a place to volunteer. Please click "Apply Now," below, to complete the application. After completing the application, our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you.
- All applicants are required to attend an interview and training orientation as part of the application process.
- The minimum age to volunteer is 16 years old.
- A background check is required as part of the application process for all adult volunteers (18 years of age).
- Parent or Guardian consent is required for all youth volunteers (16-17 years old).