Become a part of one of the nation’s best children’s museums by assisting us with your volunteer time and service. Since 1985, Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago, a not-for-profit, educational facility, has been dedicated to “hands-on” learning and fostering innovative ways to nurture a love of learning in young children through play, exploration, and discovery. Kohl is one of the few museums in the country that has always focused on early childhood education – the fundamental, critically important learning that occurs from birth to age eight.
Operating seven days a week in a 46,700 square foot, Silver-level LEED certified, universally designed facility, the Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago continues to offer many ways volunteers can assist.
“Touch a Truck” Assistant
Forget the toy trucks! At the annual Kohl children’s Museum “Touch a Truck” festival children can get a close up look at the real things! We need volunteers to help assist the children as they climb aboard many super-sized vehicles in a safe, protected environment. Food, raffles, kiddie train rides, DJ, and other fun activities will be on hand.
The fun takes place on Sunday, May 4, from 10:00-2:00 in Northfield at Fields Jeep Chrysler Dodge dealership. Requirements: ability to work in an environment of enthusiastic children, ability to potentially lift between 30 and 40 lbs. (to help assist children in the vehicles)
Financial and Accounting
Spend a few hours a week putting your financial and accounting skills to work! An opportunity to assist VP of Facility and Operations with asset valuation and data entry for asset replacement. Individual will sift through archives to find data that will enable us to “fill in the blanks!” Knowledge of construction terminology helpful, but not required.
Early Childhood Education
The Education Department will host several pizza parties for young children and their families as part of our Early Childhood Connections programming, which reaches out to “at-risk” children. The parties, or “Celebrations,” bring together about 400 people for each celebration and will take place during the evenings of Saturday, March 15, April 5, April 26, and May 3, from 5:00 to 8:30 p.m. Additionally, a Sunday Celebration will take place on April 6 from 8 to 11:45 a.m. During the events, children play, explore, and learn in the Museum’s informal interactive environment.
Volunteers who assist during our springtime Celebration parties are responsible for greeting our guests at the group meeting entrance near the back of the Museum and ensuring our guests are delighted throughout their time at Kohl! Most importantly, volunteers monitor the party and interact with guests to ensure their safe “learning through play” experience.
• Assisting with setting up and cleaning up refreshments in the party rooms
• Receiving pizzas from vendor
• Serving pizzas to our Celebration guests
• Proactively assisting as needed.
• Assisting with setting up projects to be displayed in our Art Studio as well as monitoring the Art Studio throughout the evening.
Put your photography skills to good work! The Education Department will host several pizza parties for young children and their families as part of our Early Childhood Connections programming, which reaches out to “at-risk” children. The parties, or “Celebrations,” bring together about 400 people for each celebration and will take place during the evenings of Saturday, March 15, April 5, April 26, and May 3, from 5:00 to 8:30 p.m. Additionally, a Sunday Celebration will take place on April 6 from 8 to 11:45 a.m. During the events, children will play, explore, and learn in the museum’s informal interactive environment
The springtime Celebration parties offer children from our Early Childhood Connections program a unique opportunity to visit the Kohl Children’s Museum of Chicago and enjoy a Saturday evening (or early Sunday morning) to engage in learning through play. We are seeking a volunteer with a talent for photography who will capture the special moments the children will enjoy.
• Support the Education Team through taking pictures during both our guests’ playtime at the Museum and their pizza and beverage break
• Be available as necessary for the staff throughout duration of the Celebration
Membership Renewal and Recruitment Associate
We don’t want our members to miss out on any of the ongoing fun our young members enjoy as they learn through play! So, if you’re the type of person who likes to promote fun and a good cause, then we need your help! Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago is seeking volunteers to help us reach out to current members who may need a reminder about their soon-to-expire membership. Additionally, we are seeking volunteers who can assist with member recruitment, too! Put on your marketing and sales hat and come help us promote membership to a Museum that fosters a love of learning through SMART PLAY!
- Minimum age: 16 or older (all Juniors/Seniors in High School fulfilling academic-related service hours are welcome to apply)
- Reliability, flexibility, and great people skills
- Experience interacting with younger children helpful
- The ability to stand or sit for long periods of time (for certain volunteer positions)
- Prior volunteer/work experience helpful
- Enthusiasm about volunteering and supporting the community
- Learn and develop new skills
- Meet and build a community of friends
- Gain experience working with children at special events, or work “behind the scenes”
- Gain personal satisfaction giving back to the community
- Develop or enhance professional skills for the future
- Receive invitations to training workshops and an annual recognition event