Become a part of one of the nation’s best children’s museums by assisting us with your volunteer time and service. Since 1985, Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago, a not-for-profit, educational facility, has been dedicated to “hands-on” learning and fostering innovative ways to nurture a love of learning in young children through play, exploration, and discovery. Kohl is one of the few museums in the country that has always focused on early childhood education – the fundamental, critically important learning that occurs from birth to age eight.
Ways to Volunteer:
Spotlight Studio Docent Volunteer: Treewhispers collaborative art has been installed in our studio, the docent will greet families and discuss the artwork, provide assistance with the leaf sorting activity which has loose parts of leaves, tree bark, tree blocks for them to explore and create temporary works of art, as well as create their own drawing or story about tree/nature to add to our display wall.
Commitment: June 15 – August 13, 2017
Weekday Shifts: 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Saturday Shift: 10 AM – Noon
Sunday Shift: 12 – 2 PM
Floor Guide Volunteer: Be one of the friendly faces that help enhance guest’s experiences, and learning through interaction in our Museum exhibits. Assist the Museum staff by ensuring a safe and clean environment on the Museum floor. Keep an eye out for lost children and keep exhibits organized so that all patrons can enjoy the interactive exhibits!
Week day Shifts: 9:30 AM – 12 noon or 12 noon – 3 PM
Saturday Shifts: 9 AM – 12 noon , 11 AM – 2 PM, 12 noon – 3 PM, and 2 PM – 5 PM
Sunday Shifts : 12 noon – 3 PM, 12 noon – 5 PM, or 2 PM – 5 PM
Birthday Party Coordinator Volunteer: Work alongside Museum staff to ensure every child’s birthday is celebrated successfully! Check in party arrivals and provide assistance during set-up, including answering important questions about party guidelines.
Saturday Shifts: 9 AM – 12 noon or 1 PM – 4 PM
Sunday Shifts: 12 noon – 4 PM
Art Adventures Volunteer: Mentor “future” artists in our Art Studio by helping children with their engaging projects, setting up new activities, and prepping materials for their projects. Seeking individuals with past experience working with young children in the arts.
Week day Shifts: 10 AM – 12 noon or 1 PM – 4 PM
Saturday Shifts: 10 AM – 12 noon or 1 PM – 4 PM
Sunday Shift: 1 PM – 4 PM
Education Program Volunteer: Provide a helping hand to the educators who lead educational programs for school and camp groups. Volunteers will spend their time in our program rooms providing assistance during & after the activities. Seeking individuals with early childhood education experience.
Week day Focus Field Trip Shifts: 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Week day Education Program Shifts: 2 PM – 4 PM
Master Gardener Volunteer: Master Gardeners apply! Come spend some time outside in our beautiful 2-acre nature park!
Weekday & Saturday Shifts: Between 10 AM to 5 PM.
Sunday Shifts: Between Noon to 5 PM
Special Events Volunteer: Be a part of a special event helping us with the different fundraising events during the year.
Shifts: These special events are date specific. Contact us for further information.
- Minimum age: 16 or older (all Juniors/Seniors in High School fulfilling academic-related service hours are welcome to apply)
- Volunteer commitment: minimum of 30 hours
- Reliability, flexibility, and great people skills
- Experience interacting with younger children helpful
- The ability to stand or sit for long periods of time (for certain volunteer positions)
- Prior volunteer/work experience helpful
- Enthusiasm about volunteering and supporting the community
- Learn and develop new skills
- Meet and build a community of friends who share the love of learning
- Gain experience working with children at special events, or work “behind the scenes”
- Gain personal satisfaction giving back to the community
- Develop or enhance professional skills for the future
- Receive invitations to staff celebrations and other special events
- Discounts at the Museum restaurant.
Thank you for choosing Kohl Children’s Museum as a place to volunteer. Please click “Apply Now,” below, to complete the application. After completing the application, our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you.
- All applicants are required to attend an interview and training orientation as part of the application process.
- The minimum age to volunteer is 16 years old.
- A background check is required as part of the application process for all adult volunteers (18 years of age).
- Parent or Guardian consent is required for all youth volunteers (16-17 years old).